At Thames Ditton Junior School, we believe that the teaching of Religious Education helps to provide pupils with a greater awareness and understanding of other cultures and values.
It provides a framework to enable pupils to:
· develop skills which increase their ability to study religious beliefs and ideas.
· develop their interest and enthusiasm for the study of religion and enhance their own spiritual, moral, social and cultural education
· recognise the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on culture and community life
· foster an understanding and acceptance of the beliefs and values of all individuals
· develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and of other principal religions
· develop a moral awareness and the ability to make reasoned and informed responses
· gain appreciation and respect for religious faiths and beliefs.
The main focus of religious education at Thames Ditton Junior School is Christianity. Throughout Key Stage 2, pupils will also explore the values and beliefs of at least two other principal religions. They will learn to recognise the impact of religion and belief locally, nationally and globally; as well as consider the beliefs and values of themselves and others.
It may be possible for children to visit a place of worship associated with their studied religion, which will further develop their knowledge and cultural understanding.